GideonTech.com Forums

• December 09, 2019, 10:22:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Longevity of generic thermal paste  (Read 569 times)

Phil

• Senior Modder
Longevity of generic thermal paste
« on: April 16, 2003, 08:19:10 AM »

I put my new heatsink on my new processor using the genericwhite thermal pste that came with the heatsink.  I am getting very good temps (2-4C above case temp) but I have heard that white thermal paste is not effective as a long term solution.  How often should normal thermal paste be changed?  Also, if I just watch my temps and make sure they don't start rising do I have to change it at all?

Before people dismiss this as a noob question, I've done a lot of googling and I can't find an answer to this question in the forums.  The only longevity of thermal paste topics deal with artic silver.  I had even cheaper generic paste on my duron, but I upgraded to my XP yesterday after it only ran for about 4 or 5 months.  This porcessor is fast enough that longevity actually comes into the picture :)

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 05:31:38 PM »

I don't think thermal paste degrades that much over time, regardless of what the quality is.  Evaporation is minimal, and the solid part isn't going anywhere.  My guess is you shouldn't have to change it at all.  Download MBM or something so you can check your temps.  If you see them go up over a period of time, you might want to remove it and reapply, but it's not likely.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

Phil

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 06:16:48 PM »

Thanks a lot. I was just worried because I've heard a lot about the long term performance of silicon pastes.  I closely examined some from the packet, and it actually seems decent.  It keeps its peaks and responds to pressure a lot better than the stuff I had on my duron.

I've had MBM for a long time and I will definitely notice if my temps increase.

I'm at 31C/34C right now, CPU fan 3200 rpm, 1 ehaust fan on full speed, other 3 fans on 7v.

Amorphus

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 08:38:19 PM »

its silicon loaded with nickle oxide or something like that, explaining the white color of the white goop.

silicon does not evaporate, nor dry out in normal temperatures, but it will start to break down over time due to heat.   1 or two times a year is a good time to take a look-see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.074 seconds with 19 queries.