GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2019, 03:27:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Serial port and voltage  (Read 6435 times)

bleo8onhs

• Case Mod Weenie
Serial port and voltage
« on: April 15, 2003, 08:51:58 AM »

Does anyone knows if i can take different voltages out of serial port? I want to make a cpu meter, i made the leds part and i just want to power it up. For different voltages it will light up the 20 leds from zero to 20. With a jumper i choose to light all previous leds or one led for every voltage.

Sorry for the bad english! :embr:

i7dude

• Senior Modder
Re: Serial port and voltage
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 09:10:23 AM »

Quote from: bleo8onhs
Does anyone knows if i can take different voltages out of serial port? I want to make a cpu meter, i made the leds part and i just want to power it up. For different voltages it will light up the 20 leds from zero to 20. With a jumper i choose to light all previous leds or one led for every voltage.

Sorry for the bad english! :embr:

its been a while since i've looked at the com port specifications but i'm pretty sure that you will not be able to draw enough current from the serial port to power 5 leds, let alone 20.  you are better off tapping of the PSU for power and just using the serial port for data transfer.

dude.

bleo8onhs

• Case Mod Weenie
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 03:38:43 AM »

So do you have any ideas for my project? If i cant get different voltages, can you think a way to make it happen?

pewterpez

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.eviltangerine.com
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 11:36:42 AM »

it sounds like you made a volume meter (vum) and then are trying to turn it into a cpu usage meter. As far as I know, I don't believe that's an easy task, but good luck!

bleo8onhs

• Case Mod Weenie
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 11:56:29 AM »

look my friend, i made a device that has 20 leds in a row. We put some power into it. lets say 1V. We adjust it to light the first led. Then we adjust it to light the final led to the max power, lets say 12V. So we have a voltage meter... I want to make the serial to give different values of voltage according to the cpu usage, or at win Xp/2000, according to everything(since they can monitor everything).
I also can make a device that converts pulses to diferent values of voltage, according to the period of the pulse. Can i take fron serial port the same voltage but in adjustable periods?

(if you dont make sense about what im talking about, i can write it in greek too... :D )

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 12:01:45 PM »

I think your best bet with this is to have an external circuit that feeds the necessary voltage to your LEDs to show the different states of your CPU usage.  The serial port would only come in to provide the information to that circuit the value it needs to display.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

bleo8onhs

• Case Mod Weenie
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 12:04:59 PM »

Yes that can be done too. That i had in mind. But how exactly the serial will give me that info???

NewModder

• GT Fanatic
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 04:33:36 PM »

If you take a look at www.twistedmods.com, and check their Winamp mod, it tells how much voltage the parallel port puts out. its about 3.8 per line, not sure (random readings from multimeter).  Now if you had a way to program that port on a box then you could tap into what is called WMI from Micr0soft.  Not sure how to do this in linux.  WMI is very powerful and can send signals to the parallel or serial port.  You have to resist the voltages in order to make the LED's light up ( I assume you did this, for 5 volts).  If not I am not sure how to make it draw more power.  It would probably end up burning it out.  WMI is scriptable and can be interfaced with VB script if you know how to do that.

I am currently trying to figure this out myself.  Without a secondary program if you use XP or 2k, then you will crash your system due to the hal.  So check out some google for scripting the ports with WMI and see what you come up with 8)

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 12:25:47 AM »

Bleo, I think Serial Port works with same voltages as Parallel Port (might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's like this)
Parallel Port uses 0V and +5V.
And please tell me exactly what's your idea, what you have in mind.
If you're going to use leds in it, use 470ohm resistors.

bleo8onhs

• Case Mod Weenie
Serial port and voltage
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 03:39:23 AM »

Well thank you all for your answers. Look how stuff  are at this point. New project on the way. I have a car tachometer connected to the pc. I get 12V from the PSU and the green cable that gets the pulses out of the distirbutor of the car at the transmit pin of the serial port(pin#3). That way i can emulate the pulses. In my research i found out that serial port gives in 0 state from -3 to -25 V and in 1 state from 3 to 25 V. I measure mine right now and in 0 state i take -9.63V. With Looks RS232 i send random bytes to the port but i only reached 4V and that only for 1/2 of a sec. Now i m trying to find out how to take only signals from the serial an feed my tachometer with 12V from the PSU. I ll get back to you, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Greetings from Greece, the best place in the world!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.