GideonTech.com Forums

• June 24, 2019, 02:26:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1100 CFM!!!!!!  (Read 3635 times)

bliq

• Elite Modder
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2003, 01:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Skylined
One thing is "Noise Exposure Limit" and another is "Comfort"
I don't think that being with that noise almost 24/7 is good.
If you have a sports car or a noisy car you should wear ear plugs.
Example my car is around 30-35 dba inside and it has a Diesel engine (noisy), this because it's a car for the family. This cars are made for comfort, not performance.
Sport cars sacrifice comfort for performance. Will you ever go with your family (wife, 2 children and you) on a long trip like 12hs in a "2+2" car and be comfortable?

Well, the same applies to this fan.

first of all, I must disagree with your assessment that your diesel car runs, even at idle, at 30-35dB.  That's about the level of a whisper.

A lexus LS430 at idle registers about 40dB.  ANd that is quiet like a tomb.

here's a list of relative volumes from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH):

140 gunshot, threshold of pain
135 jet airplane on takeoff
120 jackhammer
91 Honda S2000 at full acceleration*
90 beginning of OSHA workplace restrictions
80 Hummer H1 at 65 mph**
65 Lexus LS 430 at 65 mph*
60 normal conversation  
45 rustling leaves  
30 whisper
15 threshold of hearing

that puts the volume of this fan at roughly the same as a lexus LS430 at 65mph, which I must say is not going to damage anyone's hearing even if you drove it 12 hours a day everyday.

the cars by the way are inserted from cars.com.

finally, in fact I do own my convertible to spend sunny weekends on trips with my wife and 4 year old son.  we are plenty comfortable in that car.  maybe not when my son grow up a bit more, but we do have enough room in there to put a second car seat if need be (hopefully soon :) )  It's certainly louder than a Lexus even at idle but we can still carry on conversations with the top down on the freeway.

My 4 yr old already calls it his car, so I guess I have to keep it 12 years and see if he still wants the ole bucket.

bliq

• Elite Modder
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2003, 01:53:11 PM »

Quote from: Guycaico
I am sorry but putting a fan like that in your PC is pointless. you should use that thing for a "food processor" or a juicer or even a blender. If you're creative you can throw suff in it and make it splatter on a canvas and be able to sell it for millions!!!  :D  :D  :D

speaking of "other uses" of these high flow fans...

my cousin bought something called an electric supercharger for his 300ZX.  I just about laughed my ass off when he installed it (goes in between the air intake and the filter element).  There's a dash board switch to flip and this thing is just a high flow fan that tries to create pressure in front of the filter element (which isn't going to do much of anything).

well, the first try, he turns it on and it kills the engine.  turns out he installed it backwards and it SUCKED air from the filter element :-D

second try, it kills it again, but he was just idling.  When we went for a drive and turned it on at full throttle, he swears he felt SOMETHING...  I think it was the vacuum from his wallet.

KoRn Addict

• Elite Modder
  • It's not METAL enough!
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2003, 10:19:15 PM »

Man, i forgot i posted this. I am pretty damn surprised so many of you took this seriously  :D . It is kind of a joke, but it is a real product. I know that that much power is just too much and is way not neccessary, but i thought it would be fun to post.  :lol:

btw, that hover idea is pretty ingenious (sp?), i might want to keep that in mind. another thing, is this is an inpeller so it sucks from the sides and blows out strait, so there is no sole intake, it is all around it, so the intake isnt as powerful as you all thought.  :roll:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.