GideonTech.com Forums

• September 16, 2019, 03:50:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1100 CFM!!!!!!  (Read 3648 times)

bikr

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.modasylum.com
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 09:44:21 PM »

It'd move some nice air.. but once you get to ambient , which some people can do with a good HS and a tornado fan , it's pointless..  Unless you're using it on a cooler that can subside ambient , ie .. bong cooler , or pelt solution.. keeping hot side of a pelt @ room temp would be fantastic. haha --Bikr

Hawkeye

• GT Fanatic
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 10:42:06 PM »

Pfff... If you're going that extreme, you might as well just seal your case and  fill it with some non-conducting fluid. :roll:

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 11:05:20 PM »

Several problems with your little plan.  

1)  Thats a 68.6dBa fan.  I dont think you have a concept of how loud that is.  Your quite litterally talking about a noise a little less than a riding lawn mower.  And sustained sound that loud will damage your hearing.

2)  Its a impeller fan.  I dont think you really know what that is.  An impeller fan creates a lot of two things.  Torque on its housing, and vibration.  You litterally couldnt find a case that could contain this thing without breaking the case or vibrating everything inside to its death.

3)  It weighs a little less than 5 pounds.  Thats more than some complete cases I own.  That would be like sticking a small aluminum case on the side of your computer.

4)  The dimentions are 280mm by 125mm.  Which translates into a fan nearly a foot wide.  Im sure I dont need to tell you the problems associated with a fan as big as most full tower case interiors, even without components.

5)  Air flow is 1100CFM.  Im sorry, but you instantly brand yourself as a n00b when you make the equation "more CFM = better cooling".  Thats not the way it works.  In fact with a CFM like that, you would probably would be breaking components off.  Not to mention a vertical sheer like that would form an insulating barrier on everything it hit, actually heating up the case.

6) Voltage requirements would almost certianly require its own power supply, and one running at 24-48 volts.

7)  Safety.  This thing will cut fingers off.  And I wouldnt plan to be standing near this thing when your hodgepod mounting system craps out.  Cause we are talking about serious injury.

8) Intake... what happens when something wanders next to the intake on this thing.  Its going to suck everything from small animals to children to dust to power cords to everything else inside the computer, and its going to chop them into little bitty pieces before deposting them on the walls of the case.

To summerize, you have a fan that is bigger than you could possibly fit inside a case, thats a real safety hazard, that will most likely vibrate every component to its death, that will suck animals and small childern in, will not cool, with non directional air flow, will break any exposed vertical surface off, that needs its own power supply, weighs at least 10 times as much as I would even consider for a fan, and will most likely lead to the loss of your hearing.  Did I miss anything?

qscwdvefzrax

• GT Fanatic
Simple Question
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2003, 11:56:23 PM »

Hey merlinicorpus,
What is the maximum cfm that you could have pushing through the case without danger of having components being blown off? I was looking at a 203 cfm 6.5"dia x 2"deep 115VAC 60Hz fan in the C and H sales catalog, ~55db. I forget the amperage, but I dont remember it being tremendously high.

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2003, 12:07:20 AM »

does noone realize that 6 billion cfm is no good unless it can all get out. that means having just as many fans to get the air out. then you run the chance of creating a vacuum if the case isnt designed properly, resulting in no cooling in certian spots and extreme innefincies on the part of the fans creating more heat.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

TheM@trix

• Elite Modder
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2003, 12:12:48 AM »

Somehow, if you did get it attached I doubt you would need a heatsink. Besides you don't have to have your computer hooked up in a case. Put it in your closet and run extension cables. It seems that Vapochill still looks like a better solution.

My Dad has like 3 of those. He ripped em out of a huge chiller were he used to work. They are loud, but they don't cause hearing damage. They push enough air to blow over anything you might want to put infront of them. My dad rigged his up in some plywood boxes(finger safe), and use them to blow cool air to the top floor of our house when we didn't have ac upstairs. Anyway, that will give you an idea of how power full these things really are. I'd say the biggest one, was about 3 times the size of the famous Cheiftec case. Dust would also be a big problem over time. But who knows I might experiment this summer.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - USMC

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2003, 12:24:33 AM »

Agree with merlini

First I think it won't even start spining with 12V.
You'll need a spare PSU.
70dba, that's LOUD, as I said several times my Great Highland Bagpipe (Scottish Bagpipe) is 92dba and you can hear it more than 1 block away.
It's very heavy, 2kg...

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2003, 12:26:52 AM »

Quote from: TheM@trix
They are loud, but they don't cause hearing damage.

Well, 68dBa is over the level where sustained exposure will result in hearing damage.  I bet you dont sit right next to one of those fans for a few hours every day.

TheM@trix

• Elite Modder
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2003, 12:35:24 AM »

The huge fan I've got, run on ac current. I don't think the huge monsters I've got produce 68dBa, but they are loud, mainly from the air moved, not so much the motor. But like I said, Ill just have to experiment with them.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - USMC

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
1100 CFM!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2003, 12:54:36 AM »

Quote from: TheM@trix
Somehow, if you did get it attached I doubt you would need a heatsink.

no amount of airflow is going to releave the duty of a heatsink. the whole purpose of a heatsink is to allow the air to take away the heat.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 19 queries.