GideonTech.com Forums

• June 17, 2019, 11:40:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMDXP to Barton to Athlon64  (Read 645 times)

Greggyboy

• Senior Modder
AMDXP to Barton to Athlon64
« on: January 25, 2003, 11:35:05 PM »

Im looking to quiet my pc  and am thinking about purchasing a Zalman Flower HSF combo (This will go on my 1.33ghz T'bird, wont it? I thought it will). Does anyone know if the sockets for the AMDXP/Barton and Athlon64 will be the same size so I can swap the Zalman in the future to an Athlon64. In the near future I will upgrade to a Barton, and i the distant future an Athlon64.

Also, does anyone know of an even QUIETER HSF combo then the Zalman?

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 01:06:29 AM »

Zalman heatsinks aren't the best for AMD chips (data here, here, and here).  If they didn't perform so well on a 1.4 GHz Athlon, my guess is they won't get better on faster (and hotter) chips.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 03:23:31 AM »

Zalman makes some of the worst performing HSFs out there.  Their cooling ability is a joke, especially with any kind of higher end CPU.  A good rule of thumb is the quieter the HSF the worse it performs.  With a T-Bird, I would definatly not go with a Zalman.  One of the big problems with a T-Bird is that they put off so much heat, you need a really good (loud) HSF.

Also any change in class of CPU is definatly going to include a change in socket.  So Im guessing that your not going to be able to use the HSF there either.  Any time you upgrade your core components, you should get a new HSF anyway.  

It really doesnt matter though, the 64 CPUs and software is a really long time off for the home user.  A lot longer than you probably think.  I have my money on 3 to 4 years off at the very least.  And at this rate, the Bartons are a long way off as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.