GideonTech.com Forums

• October 24, 2020, 06:30:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rant: Which hard drive brand?  (Read 3602 times)

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Rant: Which hard drive brand?
« on: December 28, 2004, 01:53:20 PM »

<RANT>
After only being on these forums since June I have read many threads arguing about which hard drive maker makes better drives.  Typically the battle goes as follows:

Guy 1:
I would suggest brand A because I use it now brand B crashed on me before

Guy 2:
Brand B is a far better drive, I own 9 of these and have never had any die.

Guy 3:
Why not try brand C because both B and A have presented problems for me in the past.

It just goes on for ever and ever and never really gets anything accomplished.  I have the real answer for anyone out in the market for a hard drive right now.  It doesn't really matter.  All drive makers are nearly as reliable as the next.

The warrenty argument: Seagate is better because it has a 5 year warrenty and the others only have 3 or less.  Wouldn't you be pissed if you had all of your important data on any manufacturer's drive and it died regardless of the warrenty?  Sure it's nice one to two years down the road getting a drive replaced if it died, but you still wouldn't be happy.
Also, after 3 years when there are newer, bigger, faster drives for less money than in the past do you really want to pay to mail in your dead drive to get a copy of old technology?
Just did a search on the Bay, in the year 2000 hard drives were a whopping 4.3GB to the huge 30GB.  Redeeming that for a warrenty worth it?

</RANT> :)
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Rant: Which hard drive brand?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 02:10:43 PM »

Quote from: blafrisch
<RANT>
Just did a search on the Bay, in the year 2000 hard drives were a whopping 4.3GB to the huge 30GB.  Redeeming that for a warrenty worth it?

they obviously dont send you the exact same drive. they dont leave a wearhouse stocked full of those 30GB still hanging around waiting for you to redeem your warranty

also, all brands are not the same. they have different failiure rates for all drive series they put out. check out their return ratings.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 02:12:57 PM »

Seagate all the way
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 02:18:49 PM »

Quote from: x24
Seagate all the way

I'd agree with this one, but then again I run two Samsung drives.

Quote from: urgannagru
also, all brands are not the same

I said that they were nearly as reliable as one another.  I've had IBM, Maxtor, WD, Seagate, and Samsung drives so far.  Other than a few bad sectors here and there they served their purpose. (With the exception of a Quantum drive that died on me, you don't here that name any more though do you)

I just think it's tiring hearing that WD is not reliable enough and that the 3 year warrenty is too short.  Or that the $40 160GB Maxtor drive from Black Friday isn't reliable enough.
~ Wierd Al

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 02:30:22 PM »

I will never buy a Western Digital drive again.  I had 2 die on me.  Both were extremely loud compared to my other drives.

Seagate is my HD of choice.  It's the most silent and has a 5 year warranty.  I only get Maxtor drives because they're on sale more often.

-PhoboS-

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 02:48:35 PM »

seagate for the warranty

never any problems with WD for me but others have had  them.

maxtor because they're cheap.
Thanks for the avatar .-=Ronin=-.

(happy now?)

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 02:49:20 PM »

<RANT>

you mean that in 2000 when I got 6 60G drives (White Box Maxtors) and 2 40G (Seagates) I was buying over sized drives??

think about it.. 4 years have gone by and all of the drives are still working besides one. The one that is starting to fail (SMART warning everytime I boot up) is a Maxtor, and its been going on for at least 6 months. All of the Maxtor and Seagate have almost always been up and running in one form of RAID or another.

I have over 1TB of storage space ranging from Maxtor, Seagate & WD drives. I know that sometime over the next year or 2 I will have to replace all of the ones I bought in 2000.

I have to sall with all of the drives I have had. They all seem to work the same. I head the same stories about drive failures. If one company seems to have pushed out a bad batch of drives. Then stay way from them for a year or two, while they clean it up. Not every drive will be perfect.
Now live in the Twin cities.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 03:01:49 PM »

Quote from: Dave303
<RANT>

you mean that in 2000 when I got 6 60G drives (White Box Maxtors) and 2 40G (Seagates) I was buying over sized drives??

Well a search for the keyword '2000' in drives and storage isn't quite scientific research.  I was close though.  :P

Quote from: Dave303
I have to sall with all of the drives I have had. They all seem to work the same. I head the same stories about drive failures. If one company seems to have pushed out a bad batch of drives. Then stay way from them for a year or two, while they clean it up. Not every drive will be perfect.

I couldn't say it better myself.
~ Wierd Al

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 04:23:10 PM »

I've used Seagates, Maxtors, Western Digitals, Fujitsus, Hitatchis, and IBMs... My faves are Seagate, Western Digital, and IBM.

bruno8747

• Elite Modder
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »

It really dosent matter which brand u get sometimes u are lucky and get one that never fails and something u get a bad one.  I have a maxtor 9.5 gig in my old computer for 6 years now and it still runs good no bad sectors or anything.  Then I got 2 WD, a 10 and 40 gig that died.  And right now I am using a maxtor 120gig.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 131 queries.