GideonTech.com Forums

• August 20, 2019, 07:33:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Quiet Wave  (Read 64686 times)

Grump

• GT Fanatic
    • 1 Foot In The Grave
Quiet Wave
« on: June 06, 2004, 04:36:11 PM »

It has been a long time since I posted here at GideonTech. You've changed, I've changed. Well, I hope you enjoy this project of mine as much as I do.

My last few computers have been like vacuum cleaners going in my office. I'm gettin' to the point I just don't like all that noise. It makes me irritable. ;) So, I decided this next project would be quieter than any I've done in the past.

But, I guess that has less to do with this project log than the aesthetics of the case. I want this to be a personal case. The computer has to be pretty too. I'm not going to do any huge modifications -- certainly nothing the average modder couldn't accomplish. It's gonna be simple. I'm gonna try to keep it simple. Simple, but pretty. And quiet. Simple, pretty and quiet.

Enough. I got a plan, I thought it out pretty good and I begged, borrowed or stole (ok, I didn't really steal anything, but the prices I paid seemed like a steal) what I need. The first thing to arrive was the case.

Just your basic Cooler Master Wave Master. A very beautiful case in its own right, but of course, any true modder can do it better.

The plan begins to take shape. One of the main design elements will be the side panel. To personalize this case, I've decided to put my picture on it.

'Course, to begin the actual work, I gotta tear the case apart.

After measuring and marking the panel with the location or the PSU and drive cages, I position the cutout template and trace it on the panel. I am not worried about protecting it from scratches when I cut because the whole thing will be painted or powder coated before I'm done.

I drill a few strategically placed holes for starting points.

Put on my eye protection and use my favorite case cutting tool, the jigsaw.

The edges are rough, so I gather files to use to smooth and shape the final cutout.

Mistakes happen, like this little bend. I couldn't just bend it back.

Luckily, I'm a tool addict, so I just rummage the shed for the right tools...

In no time, the panel takes on the profile of my ugly mug.

Some of you prefer the Dremel rotary tool for your cutting duties.

I have a pneumatic rotary tool I like even better, but it requires a compressor too.

Another option would be the nibbler tool -- this one is also a pneumatic, but they come in electric and manual versions too.

Some of you might even think a RotoZip is a good cutting tool, but I've found it is not as easy to manipulate on smaller items.

No, these tools have NOTHING over the common, every day jigsaw -- especially when the neighbors need to borrow a tool for their own home improvement projects.

Well, there's still lots to do on this side panel. I hope you'll check back again for more on the progress of my Quiet Wave. I hope I can make it interesting for you.

Grump
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 08:20:44 AM by Grump »
R'gards, Grump
Photographer @ JimMcClainPhotos.com
My latest non-mod related project.

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
Quiet Wave
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 04:40:28 PM »

I don't really see where you're going with the window. But the boobies made it all better.

Cranberry

Quiet Wave
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 05:03:52 PM »

Hehe, i like the window shape. Put an etch on it.

Disregard error.

Hash1774

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~hash1774
Quiet Wave
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »

i like it, looks very nice. jig saw's are definatley the way to go. and if that don't work, theres always the sawz-all.

computerfreke911

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.geocities.com/computerfreke911
Quiet Wave
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 05:40:52 PM »

This is gonna be crazy nice. Great case to work with. Hope it turns out well. If it doesn't I'll be happy to take that case out of your hands. :D  

Are you by any chance the girl? :P

DJ Bowen

• Elite Modder
Quiet Wave
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 06:23:00 PM »

Quote from: computerfreke911
Are you by any chance the girl? :P

:lol: thank gawd i wasn't the only person wondering that too! :lol:

s0up

• Senior Modder
Quiet Wave
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 06:59:24 PM »

Where Can I get a jig like that o_O  :o

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
Quiet Wave
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 08:25:32 PM »

Bad mistake posting a pic of that girl.  Because now, I don't think anyone gives a sh*t about your case anymore.

:P

jpantoga

• Elite Modder
Quiet Wave
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 10:00:21 PM »

Quote from: AzNPrideBoy
Bad mistake posting a pic of that girl.  Because now, I don't think anyone gives a sh*t about your case anymore.

:P

not true.......... :D

DarkLordSyn

• Senior Modder
Quiet Wave
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 01:38:01 PM »

Great job on the case so far. Can't wait to see finished results. And, yes, I prefer the Dremmel. Jiggsaws are hard for me to use, but then so are a lot of tools because of my unsteady hands. But, hey, that's why we have out friends. :-D
"I got GREAT eyes! They're better than 20/20, and they're BLUE!" - John Crichton
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.